My ARRMA vehicles

Granite

Granite Servo issue

My grantie servo only turns one way. When I reverse the steering settings on the controller it seems to be better. Is this the servo or something else????

My ARRMA vehicles

Raider
    My raider does the same thing! It barely turns going forward but then turns great in reverse. I'm thinking of just buying a new servo. Please help

My ARRMA vehicles

Mojave
    the first generation servo's are probably the weakest point in all the ARRMA first gen vehicles. replace it with a standard size servo with a torque rating of at least 80oz/in for the buggies 100oz/in for the mid size trucks and 150oz/in for the monster truck.
    I also highly recommend gong with a fairly fast servo. i think the stock one is about .18 seconds, a speed of .12 - .09 will be notably faster and a good upgrade for the $ (IMO)

I personally use a 120oz/in .05 second in my Mojave and have been using this servo in all my race vehicles for over 5 years without a single rebuild.

Adjusting the servo saver (nut on the bell crank) to start slipping just before your servo is overloaded is an important step and takes some time to get right, too lose and your wheels will straighten out in a high speed turn and to tight and you break your servo.

It's important when replacing the servo that you get it centered in the servo box with no wiggle room, for me i had to tape some 1mm spacers between the mounts and servo to keep it from moving around in the servo box. also important to keep the link from the servo to the bell crank as straight and level as possible any angle will cause your vehicle to turn more in one direction than the other. shim with washers where needed to keep it straight and level.
    Last edited by Rob S; 08-29-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Mojave, Novak 7.5, Tekin RS, nano-tech A-spec 4200 shorty lipo, jr servo.
    2013 Short Course Truck Sponsors: Everything R/C, Modsticks.com, fastRCparts.com

My ARRMA vehicles

Raider
    Fury
    Rob,s knows his stuff! very much right about changing the steering servo to a better quality one, we run hitec mg645 an tower pro servos, 120oz metal gears,alum servo horn,gotta get the drag link flat a possible an defin,make the servo a tight fit in the case, also 2mm washers under captured tierod ends,slight toeout adjustment then pretty much bullet proof front end,we also cut the top of the servo case housing off, makes alot easier to work on servo with out removing complete front end,(thats a pain) we race our furys an raiders every wkend offroad with these setups, work great!

My ARRMA vehicles

Granite
    I also had problems with the 2013 granite mega servo. Went bad on the first 2 laps in front of the house. No gravel dirt or anything on the smooth street so I knew it was mechanical. Heard a gear stripping noise that was horrible. But before purchasing the truck I read alot of info about this problem. Easiest fix for 20bucks was a traxxas 2075 servo. Have no issues since the replacement. Perfect fit, no modifying other than trimming the servo box lid so the servo arm can move without rubbing. Works great!

My ARRMA vehicles

Raider
    Vortex
    Quote Originally Posted by FuLLArRmA View Post
    I also had problems with the 2013 granite mega servo. Went bad on the first 2 laps in front of the house. No gravel dirt or anything on the smooth street so I knew it was mechanical. Heard a gear stripping noise that was horrible. But before purchasing the truck I read alot of info about this problem. Easiest fix for 20bucks was a traxxas 2075 servo. Have no issues since the replacement. Perfect fit, no modifying other than trimming the servo box lid so the servo arm can move without rubbing. Works great!
    You can just trim the tip of the stock servo horn instead of the actual servo box. Thats what i did and it worked out great. I have never dealt with the 2013 spec ads-5 or 7. The original vehicles stock servo were terrible to say the least.
    Last edited by TboneNYC; 11-25-2013 at 10:26 PM.

My ARRMA vehicles

Granite
    I would recommend checking the servo and servo saver right out of the box. The arm on my original Granite wasn't right from the factory.

RobS - Great info, thanks for taking the time to write all that.