Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My ARRMA vehicles
    None

Question, and problem with my granite.

I got a Granite last week. The truck's awesome. The tires are off the hook. Some of the best tires i've seen on a RTR. I ran it a bit. I thought it seemed overgeared. As it got pretty hot. The motor read over 200 degrees. I tried shorter slightly easier running, and still too much heat. So I swapped the 18t pinion out for a 14t unit. I just ran it hard up and down the street. burnouts, wheelies, and speed runs. Highest temp now was about 175. which still is a bit hot for most motors. Will the Arrma motor be ok at that moderately high temp? I noticed in the manual it said to keep it under 200.
    Is this normal? to be expected with the granite? Or is mine just running hot because I didn't do a proper break in? I've been running on a 4000mah 25c 2s lipo.
    Also, my servo seems to be stripped after about 4 or 5 runs. I know this isn't normal, but there have been problems with these servos. I don't intend to send the bad servo in for warrantee replacement. But I wouldn't mind working a warrantee trade off. I'll keep the bad servo,and settle for a new front body mount. Mine had a bit of a mishap.
    This is one tough truck. I had to do something really stupid to break that body mount. Wish I had it on video.

My ARRMA vehicles

Granite
    Have you set your ESC to run on Li-po battery?
    I haven't had any problem with mine.
    WWJD

My ARRMA vehicles
    None
    Yeah it's programmed to run on 2s I believe. it must be, because the LVC is working fine. I've had no heat issues with the esc or battery. Just the motor gets hot.

My ARRMA vehicles

Granite
    Maybe contact Arrma customer service and see what they have to say. Don't worry, you're covered by the 2 years warranty.
    WWJD

My ARRMA vehicles
    None
    Oh I know, But I don't play the warranty card when stuff gets broken from my abuse. I might try to work over customer service for a free body mount to make up for the servo lol.

My ARRMA vehicles
    None
    Well I finally did contact customer service. I mostly intended to give constructive feedback. But they decided to hook me up with a body mount, a spare motor, and a futaba high torque metal gear servo. Now that is some awesome customer service!!

My ARRMA vehicles

Granite
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazOutlaw View Post
    Well I finally did contact customer service. I mostly intended to give constructive feedback. But they decided to hook me up with a body mount, a spare motor, and a futaba high torque metal gear servo. Now that is some awesome customer service!!
    That's great!
    WWJD

My ARRMA vehicles

Raider
    Fury
    Vortex
    Mojave
    Granite
    ADX10
    Glad you got sorted Chaz,

The motor will take a lot of abuse but yes it does sound like it was getting a little hot in your setup. Gearing depends a lot on where the rig is used and the conditions around it.

You did the right thing in swapping to a smaller pinion to maintain the motor, as a recommendation to anyone else facing the same issue tweak the gearing to suit your use, there is no such thing as a one for all gearing setup, if you find your trucks motor is getting hot, try going down a couple of pinion sizes, alternative pinions should be readily available from your local hobby shop, if not try Tower Hobbies.

Cheers, Jam.

My ARRMA vehicles

Fury
    I baught my fury on march 29 and within the two week I had to replace the esc, the motor and the servo.
    So my $220 rc very quickly became a $350 rc...........Big regrets here for not spending the $400 on a brushless slash in the first place.
    IM into mine for 400 and still on a brushed system.
    Day four.......new 15t firball cuz my mega 15t died........21.99
    Day Six.........new traxxas esc...................................59.99
    Day ten.........new traxxas servo...............................38.99

My ARRMA vehicles

Raider
    Quote Originally Posted by grwll View Post
    I baught my fury on march 29 and within the two week I had to replace the esc, the motor and the servo.
    So my $220 rc very quickly became a $350 rc...........Big regrets here for not spending the $400 on a brushless slash in the first place.
    IM into mine for 400 and still on a brushed system.
    Day four.......new 15t firball cuz my mega 15t died........21.99
    Day Six.........new traxxas esc...................................59.99
    Day ten.........new traxxas servo...............................38.99
    Grwll, I bought my son a Raider the same week you got your fury. I've had some issues as well:

1) First thing, the servo died on like day 4 or 5. It wouldn't turn right anymore. I threw in a metal geared one, which required a home made glitch buster, and it now works better. I think the Arrma cars definitely have problems with the servos. They use plastic gears, so I guess this is inevitable.

2) The slipper clutch got stripped. I think this was partially my fault for not realizing the pinion was tight against the plastic clutch wheel. Basically, the plastic got stripped when running on a tough course with a lot of jumps and hard landings. Cheap fix, like $5, so no biggie and now I know to check it from time to time.

3) The factory motor died a slow death. It got slower and slower over time, and eventually became very erratic. I emailed Arrma, and they sent me a new one for free. I just got it installed yesterday and my son ran the car for an hour today and it works fine.

So, I've had my problems with the car - and I think the servo is the most common issue. I'm going to buy a Raider for myself here shortly, and the first thing I'm going to do is add a glitch buster and new metal gear servo myself. I'm not going to even give the plastic one a chance as I know it will fail very soon. I'm thinking of this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sec_46_5g.html

I was happy Arrma replaced the motor for free, as I really like the factory motor since it's so much faster than anything else I've run in the car or seen in other cars that's brushed. The brushless are obviously faster, and I'm looking to bump it up to one of those soon.

All in all, I like the car - the remote is awesome and the gearing and stuff of the car seems pretty robust. You're right though, the $200 entry price gets a good start, but some of the cheaper components will need replacing.